Welcome to the How to Play WordStacker page.
There are 103 yellow (Letter) cards (don’t worry, we’ve taken out the Qs!) and 56 blue (Action) cards.
There are 2 types of Action card, those that score you points (Score cards), and those that help sabotage your opponents (Sabotage cards). Just follow the instructions on each card and use them strategically for maximum advantage.
Divide the cards into the blue (Action) cards and yellow (Letter) cards.
Lay out the yellow (Letter) cards, face up, to make a grid of 4 letter words (the number of words depends on the number of players). The youngest player chooses a four letter word for the top line, with words for the other lines being chosen by other players in age order. The grid may look something like this…
If you don’t want to make up your own words, visit our WordStacker Word List page for suggestions of 4 letter words to use to set up the grid.
Shuffle the yellow (Letter) cards and deal 6 to each player. Shuffle the blue (Action) cards and deal 3 to each player.
A player’s hand consists of all 9 cards, and should be replenished at the end of each turn by choosing either Letter (yellow) or Action (blue) cards to make it back up to 9 (you can choose to have different numbers of each). Don’t show your cards to the other players.
The player to the dealers left goes first.
On your turn you can:
• (FIRST TURN ONLY) change up to three letter cards by drawing three more letter cards from the pack and putting three unwanted letter cards at the bottom of the pile. (This stage can be repeated until you have at least one vowel).
• Play one or more action cards and follow the instructions (you can play up to one Sabotage and one Score card per turn.) Playing a score card is the only way to gain points, playing a sabotage card helps stop your opponent from scoring points, or;
• Play a letter card on top of any letter on the grid to make a new word without scoring (it must be a real word) – do this to change your hand or to make it harder for other players to make words, or;
• Forfeit your turn, discard your hand and be dealt a new one (6 letters and 3 actions).
But you can’t:
• Play a letter card on top of the same letter
• Make words that are abbreviations, hyphenated, acronyms, proper nouns, or include apostrophes.
• Make sure that the grid only contains real words (slang words in common usage are allowed) and;
• Make your hand back up to 9 cards at the end of your turn by choosing either blue (Action) or yellow (Letter) cards to replace those played.
If another player challenges your word (this must be done before the next player plays) you can settle it with a dictionary.
When you play a Score card (the points value is shown top left/bottom right corners) place that card face up in front of you and keep it. This card cannot be played again. Played Score cards must remain visible to other players throughout the game.
Add your played Score cards together throughout the game – the first to get cards adding up to at least 100 points wins.
Short of time? try a quick version – play to 80 points, or for a longer, more strategic game, simply increase the number of points needed to win.
The two types of action cards are split into:
• Scoring cards that get you closer to the winning total
• Sabotage cards that stop your opponents scoring
Stack 2, 3, 4, 5 Cards
Stack a letter on top of any other letter in the grid, to make a new word. Repeat this according to the number of stacks required.
1 Letter Word Stretch
Add 1 letter to any word to make a longer word (keeping the original letters in order). You can place the letter anywhere in the word to make it longer. E.g. GATE could become GRATE or GATED or AGATE. Do not stack any letters when playing this card.
Multi-Letter Word Stretch
Add 2 or more letters to any word to make a longer word (keeping the original letters in order). E.g. POST could become POSTED, DEPOSIT or POSITION. Do not stack any letters when playing this card.
1 Word Mix-Up
Rearrange the letters in any word on the grid to make a new word. Do not stack any letters when playing this card.
Rearrange all the letters in the grid (be careful to keep the letter stacks intact) to make a new grid of the same number of words. If your grid has 4 words at the start of the turn, the grid must have 4 words after this card has been played. Words can be changed to any length, minimum word length is 2 letters. Do not stack any letters when playing this card.
Remove a word from the grid and place the letters back into the box. Make a new 4 letter word from the letters in your hand and add it to the grid.
WordStacker is a registered trademark owned by Ingenium Games Ltd. © 2016 Ingenium Games. All Rights Reserved.
© 2016 Ingenium Games. All Rights Reserved.
Ingenium Games Ltd, ℅ Propagate Creative, 2nd Floor, Prinny Mill Business Centre, Blackburn Road, Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4 5HL